Re: TOBY TABs

Actually, yes. I've seen that a couple of sets of Toby TABs have made
their way across the pond. Before I started in on replacing mine, I
searched the internet and came across Andy Snell's restoration web
page. http://www.delorean-dmc12.co.uk/restoration/ Pretty much so
far, his page has the best documented shots of the chassis seperated
from the body, with most of the piping and hardware in place that
I've ever seen. So if you're reading this Andy, I owe you a BIG thank
you! Not only did I finally get a good picture of how my TABs are
installed (without removing the air deflectors), but I now also know
just how to route my A/C hoses. When I finally do get around to
having the system rebulit, I'll print off a couple of shots to take
to the repair shop so they have a better idea of what to do as well.

Replacing my TABs wasn't quite as easy a job that I expected it to
be. The drivers side TAB slid both in and out with me only needing to
push the Trailing Arm up. The passenger side was quite a bit more
difficult for me. In the end, I had to not only wedge the Trailing
Arm up, but I also had to grab the Lower Linkage on the rear
suspension, and pull it twards the front of the car. Once this was
done, the new Toby TAB slid into place with no resistance.

I didn't replace the bushings though. It can be done, but I'm just
going to have it done when I have the suspension rebulit later this
year. Along with replacing all of the washers as well. The drivers
side nut came off with little resistance at all. But the passenger
side was torqued up a bit tighter, and the sleeve in the bushings had
cut into the washers.

The verdict: My car now has a bit less tendancy to break the rear end
loose. Not perfect yet because the Shock Absorbers are shot to hell,
but much better. A little bit of clunking is still present (drive
shafts), but is also much quieter! The TABs were clean for the most
part, and only the passenger side has shown any coating of rust. But
I coated the TABs with a bit of axel grease though to "seal" both the
bolts, and the sleeves. And yes, even though the car only has 44K
miles, the bolts are bent. It's not too noticeable by simply "eye-
balling" them, but is quite evident when you roll them on a flat
surface.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mgutkowski@xxxx" <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Did you know that several of the last sets of Toby Trailing Arm
Bolts found
> their way "across the pond" to England?
>
> Well, on Saturday, Chris Hawes, with his 10,000 miles car drove to
the
> Diesel Centre for a service, belts and TABs.
<SNIP>