Re: Sad Delorean on Ebay/Part car pirates you suc&!

Re: Sad Delorean on Ebay/Part car pirates you suc&!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink@xxxx>"
<erikgeerdink@xxxx> wrote:
> First you say:
>
> >So, with an abundant supply, and a type of vehicle that I'd be
> willing to say is
> > atleast 70% rustproof, what in the hell do we need parts cars
for?
> There is
> > absolutely no justification.
>
> Then you say:
>
> > The moral of the story? With the exception of an ultra-severe
> wreck, every
> > DeLorean out there is a canidate for restoration.
>
> Which is it? I have parted our 3 cars. The first one had been
> stripped of just about everything before I got it. This was due to
> the front end collision it was in 18 years prior. It sat outside
> for that amount of time. I parted out the panels. In doing so i
> funded some major restorations on my car, and saved a lot of people
> a lot of money.
<SNIP>

Wait a second. Even in this quote I cleared stated that "With the
exception of an ultra-severe wreck..." Even I realize that there are
vehicles out there that are beyond repair, as do others. And this is
quite obviously the case with the cars here that you have. But
niether of these are the kinds of cars that are being discussed here.
What the complaint here is that is being voiced by myself and others
is cars that have no devistating damage to them are being parted out.

Example: There is one car on eBay from Colorado that was painted
white. I saw this one a couple of years ago, and it had ben in a rear
end collision. A couple of crinkled panels, a ruined facia, and a
broken rear-quarter glass. Benefit of the doubt on this one because I
didn't inspect it in person, but the car look very repairable to me.
But no, this one was parted out.

Another car on eBay was parted out by someone with the e-mail address
jeffry.tina<at>msn.com. This is a car that was physicly fine, and
from the pictures in very good condition. The guy got it, and had
many more mechanical problems then he expected. He sank some cash
into it, and then gave up. The result? This guy parted out a
perfectly fine car just simply to try and "brake even" on the cash he
lost.

Parting out a perfectly good car simply to make a cheap profit is
(and granted yes, this is my opinion here) no different than
purposfully torching the car to collect on the insurance money. Yeah,
you're not braking the law, and while you're not commiting fraud
against anyone in a leagal sense, you are still destroying a car just
simply for money.

This is also what is meant by it being wrong that people are trying
to make money here in the DeLorean world. Not by being a
participating vendor, but by destroying cars that are otherwise quite
restorable. Wrecked, burned, or even bare-bones cars that have been
stripped of all vital parts are one thing. What is being discussed
here are fully complete cars that were simply taken out of service
due to certain mechanical problems, and/or were simply parked (such
as mine for instance). Even with a car that essentially has no
chassis, and no usable suspension due to rust but has a great
interior and drive train, that's somthing that I would consider to be
an excellent canidate for a restoration as well. Especially when you
compare the price of a new chassis, and the past selling prices of
cars in this condition. It's a helluva alot of work for those that
will be willing to do it. Even more so than I will need to complete
on my car. But for some, just like an opinion, it's wants that are
important, and not the financial "bottom line". If you see a car that
is restorable, but you don't have the means to restore it, then pass
it by, or at least let someone who is in a better position than you
get the car to complete it. And if you happened to buy the wrong car
for you, and have gotten in way over your head... Well, take it like
a man and either sell it as you found it, or fix it, and savour the
accomplishment!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"