Re: [DML] Auto Trans service

In a message dated 1/19/03 11:17:15 AM Central Standard Time,
aprentis@xxxx writes:

> Hi everyone,
> I've just drained out my auto transmission fluid and
> was wondering what else I should do to give the
> transmission a proper service.Should I remove the pan
> and inspect for any metal?When I bought my car the
> transmission was full of metal so I am very wary of
> that.Does the filter need replacing as well?I have no
> idea when it was last replaced.
> I'm not sure where to refill the transmission.In the
> manual it says use the refill tube.I'm assuming that
> is the same tube the fluid dipstick is in?
> Also, when jacking up the car where is the best place
> to put the stands under the car.Should I just put them
> under the frame or on the jacking points?
> Thanks!
> Andrew
> VIN 2883
> Sydney,Aus.

Andrew,

for the auto trans, make sure you check the fluid level for proper fill, as
per the owner's manual. if the fluid seems a little brown-looking or has a
burnt odor, it should probably be changed. also be sure to check the final
drive level as well - checkable thru a check plug on the side of trans -
again, check the owner's manual/shop manual for proper procedures/exact
location. if your transmission pan seems to be leaking, you will need to
replace the filter and gasket. not too difficult, i think all the parts are
now available?

the filter doesn't need to be changed 'just to change it' - it's more like a
bug screen that keeps gasket material, etc from going into the gears. but
when you drop the pan, you might as well replace the filter anyway.

when you top off the fluid, make sure you only add a little bit at a time.
if it is below the add/cold line, add 1 pint/ 1/2 qt dexron 3 rated auto
trans fluid. put your foot on the brakes and shift thru all the gears
waiting for 15 seconds in each one. put it back in park (or do you check in
neutral? park i think - i have a manual trans). now check your fluid level
again. continue until it is in the middle of the hot/full and cold/add lines.
as for the final drive, add fluid thru the check plug until it is within 1/4
inch of the hole. check the shop manual to see if the vehicle has to be
running or not (some cars do).

when i lift my car up in the garage (rear end) i take a floor jack with a
piece of wood on the cup and lift up by the engine cradle making sure it is
back far enough to not be lifting on sheet metal. once i have the car up, i
take jack stands and put them on either side of the jack (with wood on again)
and then slowly lower the jack. the 'jack points' refer to emergency
side-of-the-road jack points or for 4-pt shop lifts. when you lift from
these locations, be careful opening and closing your doors - the underbody
flexes a little and you might damage the doors if you slam them closed! the
wood is so you don't crack the epoxy on the frame (i learned that lesson
already).

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596