Re: [DML] grounding equipment to battery?

Re: [DML] grounding equipment to battery?

Just another of my two cents and not to flame Martin's suggestion, there are
a few things to know about "caps" or better known as "stiffening capacitors"
in the auto hi-fi business. ?

First, if a good audio amplifier is well engineered and well made, there
should really be no need for a stiffening capacitor. ? Unless you are running
one "extreme" high output amplifier or multiple amplifiers which will
requires the extra current, one should stay away from using the stiffening
capacitors. ? The primary purpose of the stiffening capacitors is to aid the
amplifier if you are playing the system at HIGH VOLUME for long a period of
time or for short extreme loud bursts of bass signals. ? The reality is, how
long does one listen to the system that loud while driving? ?

*** Folks, please do keep in mind that high volume or loud sound will
deteriorate your hearing and once your hearing is damage, THERE IS NO
REVERSAL. ? You will be wearing a hearing aid afterwards as an "amplifier"
for ambient sound in your ear or ears!

Unless the car is used is entered and used in sound competition, stiffening
capacitor should be avoid. ? All the stiffening capacitor will do to your
alternator, is soak up all the current that the alternator generates. ? It
makes the alternator labor by having it putting out all the time when there
is no need for it to do so. ? The stiffening capacitor will over tax your
alternator and may cause an early demise. ? If you are going to, or must use
a stiffening capacitor, you must do some electrical calculations and upgrade
to an alternator that can produce the amps required..... Special custom built
alternators ARE NOT CHEAP.... Just ask Mr. John Hervey for an alternator over
150 amps.

Instead of using a stiffening capacitor, one should first make sure the
battery is in good order and then second, by upgrading the alternator that
can supply the current that is demanded by the vehicle and then the added on
amplifier's current demand. ? This way the correct alternator will chargeup
the battery and supply the current to run all of the total electrical
demands.

A point on amplifiers. ? Many amplifiers are "hyped" in their power rating
and many retailers are interested in making sales only and that all they are
interested in doing..... making sales. ? These amplifiers are poorly
engineered with poorly regulated power input stage which is one of the reason
why stiffening capacitors are required. ? Many stiffening capacitors starts
at around $75.00 US to much as $450.00 US. ? Get a well made amplifier with
true RMS output which has a good regulated power input stage and you will not
need a stiffening capacitor. ? This way you will save the money. ? Lower cost
and poor performing amplifier with a stiffening capacitor will almost be the
same cost of a decent well made higher price amplifier. ? So, get a better
high price amplifier, this is a better way to go as a compromise in money but
not in sound quality or quantity.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

In a message dated 1/15/03 4:16:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
webmaster@xxxx writes:

> However, if you experience problems (and I doubt you will) by using a
> different ground point, you can snub it at the amplifier by putting a
> capacitor across the power supply terminals. You can buy caps for this
> purpose from car hi fi shops.

Martin