Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)

Re: Wheel interchanges (full size spare)

The Delorean uses a fairly standard 4 x 100 bolt pattern and there
are many European cars that have the same pattern, including big
name manufacturers like VW using that pattern throughout the 80's
and most of the 90's, with tens of thousands of possible donors.

The wheel that I have come across that makes an excellent full size
spare is the stock aluminum wheel from an early VW Corrado G60.
The stock wheel is a spoke design with a silver tone finish and
most importantly a 15" wheel that is only 6 inches wide, not 7.
A 195/50-15 tire on this rim is about the same height and width
as a stock front Delorean wheel/tire combo, but can run all day
at expressway speed. Installation on the rear as a spare does
feel a bit awkward, but I do have much more confidence in this
setup for long distances than using a 22 year old stock spare.
Leave off the VW center cap, and this spare looks like "stock".

Although I have not tried the function of the angle drive with
this spare on the left front, is you get a flat on the left front
you can always swap the right front to the left front and put the
spare on the right front. A little confusing, but it does work.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207 <brobertson@xxxx>"