Intermittent electrical stuff

After working on my car last weekend, my friend and I noticed that my passengers side window motor works--after two years. Actually, I have never really touched the switch that much, but everytime I did previous nothing happened. I am also having a problem with an intermittent window switch--sometimes it works in all four directions, otherwise it will only move mirrors up and down.

Can someone explain why this is happening in either (or both) of these instances? I probably know the answer--a combination of a bad wire somewhere or a dirty switch--but what is the easiest fix to accomplish without being an electrician? I already know how to remedy intermittent tail lights, but I know nothing about these two issues.

I would told by my friend to dab some deoxidizing compound on the switch contacts themselves--could this be part of the problem?

Any help would be great. Thank you!

(And thank you to the list for all the great help on changing the lower steering column bushing. Everyone made it sound a little easier than it actually was, but no problem whatsoever! Thank you Darryl for the new and improved bushing!)