Re: Torsion bar removal and fitting

To relieve the torsion on the door torsion bar you need to set up the
entire rig as if you are doing an adjustment. This means you need the
wooden support block, an allen socket, an extension bar, and a breaker
bar and door prop. You will also have to have a small ratchet and
socket to remove the anchoring bracket. In removing the torque you
must keep in mind when you set up to have enough of a "bite" so as to
have room to release all of the torque. It requires approximatly a 90
degree swing in the direction away from the torque. The anchoring
bracket MUST be removed to release all of the torque or you will
damage the rear window.
To reinstall again you need a "bite" that will give you about 90
degress motion to put all of the torque back in. You may need more or
less but I would start with less and add more as needed so as not to
overstress the torsion bar. Before tightening the torsion bar don't
forget to place the anchoring bracket over the allen socket. This is a
2 man job so get a willing assistant who will follow directions. Don't
try it alone as if anything goes wrong you can't hold the torque
forever! You could have a lot of trouble trying to start the bolts
into the anchoring bracket with 1 hand. Sometimes these bolts have the
threads munched up and you may have to replace them and retap the
holes in the car. For the door prop do not use a stick from the ground
to the door. If the car should move it would slip out. Instead go from
the door sill to the bottom of the open door. When removing the
torsion bar take care not to srcatch it when sliding it out.
This is not a job for the "faint of heart" as it is one of the more
dangerous procedures you can do on a Delorean. The torsion bars store
A LOT of energy. Make sure all of your tools are in perfect working
order and you are well prepared for all contigencies.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757