Re: painting louver??

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> I am going to bring my louver into a body shop to have it
painted this
> week. What type of paint should I have them paint it with? <edit>
At Memphis I saw a louver with a
> lightly textured paint that really looked nice.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
> 6286-

Hi Dave.

I was at Memphis, and have a painted louver. On the chance that mine
was the painted louver you're referring to, here's the recipe.
My louver and bumpers(on the partially restored DeLorean, the only
one on a trailer at Memphis, for your reference) were painted with
black Dupont Imron, with their standard gloss reducer added to get
what they refer to as 25% gloss reduction. I describe this texture
as "controlled fine orange peel" Usually orange peel comes out less
uniform, is not readily induced intentionally, and is considered a
defect, but it actually ended up looking pretty good on my louver and
bumpers, I think. Anyway, if you liked that look, that's how I got
it.
The good points: This paint is far superior to most other paints,
and sticks like glue. This paint doesn't develop the white oxides
over time that some matte black paints like chassis paint or bumper
paint do.
The bad points: It seems to me you can't really get a matte finish
with this paint. If you're aiming for a factory original look or
other "flat" look, this paint isn't for you.

Rick Gendreau 11472