Re: Please HELP my worst nightmare

Rick and List - I thought that I would briefly address the "scratched
torsion bar" issue ... if the scratch is not too deep, it can be
blended out, reducing the chance of the scratch initiating a crack.
Take the bar out, and clean it thoroughly with degreaser or mild
solvent. Obtain a fine rounded metal file, and gently file the area
until you eliminate the scratch, using a 20:1 blend ratio. What this
means is that, if you have a scratch that is .020" deep, you would
blend out an area approximately .40 wide, tapering from the edges to
the "bottom" of the scratch. The blend should be equal on both sides
of the scratch. Try to make the filing as smooth as possible. When
the scratch is no longer evident, use fine emery cloth or sand paper
(use nothing with iron or iron oxide!) to sand the blend as smooth as
you can get it. This procedure should minimize the stress riser in
the area of the scratch, and give you a better chance of not
experiencing fatigue failure of the bar due to a crack initiation at
the scratch.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12@xxxx> wrote:
> My passenger side torsion bar has also been scratched by contact
with the hinge.