Re: [DML] Value of the dies

The subject of the dies comes up from time to time, and at this time, therereally is no need for them. Ask anyone who has been to our warehouse in Houston, there are thousands of body panels and doors. At the current rate ofsales, we have over a 100 year supply of doors alone, and that is not an exaggeration. Right fenders, hoods, quarters and t-panels are very similar in quantity. A new die for the left front fender can be had for about $30,000 or less WITHOUT having the old one for reference. The fenders in a quantity of 250 would cost about $600 each. That's $180,000 total. Everything cost more than you think it will, so round up to $200,000. Over the run of 250, that's $800 each AT COST, no markup. Let's say that in the last ten yearswe've sold 50 RIGHT front fenders, and that the other major vendors have done the same for an average of 15 per year. If we sell them at $1200 each, it will take over 11 years to recoup the initial $200,000 investment. Wouldn't everyone rather have dashpads, binnacles, etc, etc, etc right now? At this time the numbers don't work to make fenders, and there is next to no demand at this time. When the numbers work, we will make them.

I haven't even talked about the logisitics of diving and raising the dies, compensating the current owner, replacng them with something else, etc. Theguy who did coordinate a dive of them, Gordon Novel, is still active in the DeLorean community and comes to DMCH from time to time. Th next time I see him I will ask him for his recollections of them and why they didn't raise them then.

James
DMCH