Re: Diving for body dies

While the topic is still alive, I thought I would add a few more
pieces of information and a few questions for potential organizers
who would consider chartering a boat to investigate the location
and condition of the body dies. As others have mentioned, I would
not consider an advanced phase (such as recovery) without proper
authorization in advance.

The first phase would be to identify the exact location, if not
known by the skipper of the boat that actually dumped the dies.
This phase could be done with a boat, a small crew, the underwater
camera (setup for 150ft of tethered cable, for shallow searches)
and two divers, used to either verify the initial camera images or
to retrieve the camera if it gets entangled in one of the nets.
The remote camera would do most of the busy work until the actual
dies are located, then divers can be sent in once dies are found.
This would be much less expensive than assembling teams of divers
to do the initial searching and has less risks associated with it.

If the dies can be located (and a GPS location recorded) and can be
video taped with the underwater camera, if the shapes of the dies
can be recognized, the currents are not too strong and if the water
turbidity allows for clear images, I ould deem the first phase of
the expedition a success. If other still photos could be taken
with a diver next to the dies, maybe attaching a sign that states
"the extreme Delorean enthusiasts of the DML were here on xx/xx/xx"
and getting at least one good photo for the Picture of the Month.

If someone could look into the best time of year to attempt this
charter (favorable weather and water temperature, best time of year)
and can find out an approximate depth that the body dies may lay on
the bottom, I will send out the camera system for them to use for
preliminary investigation. Just knowning where the dies are and their
current condition would be a nice historical footnote 20 years later.

Maybe they are still building Deloreans in Atlantis, with the plant
manager, Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Marc A. Levy" <malevy@xxxx> wrote:
> I too am a certified (and certifiable) diver.. Please let me know
if this happens, I would be interested in participating.