Re: Interesting story!

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "basfe25" <dmcman73@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>He
> then proceeds to tell me that his friend was crazy because he bought
> it from the American Express catalog back in the 80's. I stopped
> dead in my tracks and asked him "was is it gold?" and he
> said "Yeah...it was gold plated and it had a tan interior in it...he
> paid like $80,000 for it!" According to him his friend bought the
> car, had it delivered to him and had never driven it....has 0 miles
> on it. The guy used to lived in Wantagh Long Island, NY and had long
> since moved to CA. I was bummed because I wanted to go see it. Any
> way...that's my close encounter to seeing a Gold Delorean in
> person....almost :(.
>
> Steve

I believe that the gold D up in Reno came from California, specificly
Pasadena, I think. Anywho, as was explained to me last time I was in Reno,
the insurance was so high, that he simply donated the car to the Harrah's
collection in Reno. I think that the insurance quote on the plaque in front of the
car stems from this. It also says that the name of the person who owned it was
Sherwood Marshall. Did you happen to get the guy's name?

Now for another related note, here is some new info on the car. I friend of
mine was in Reno a couple of weeks ago, and went to see the car. It was
explained to him that the AMEX cars were given a unique model code.
Regular stainless DeLorean's are designated as "DMC-12". But the gold cars
have the model # of "LK". My firend questioned the woman, but she stated that
their paperwork on the car lists is as an LK. So I guess now we finally know
where Sunstar got that desigation for the model cars from. Any chance that
James, or someone else down in Houston might have a bit more info on this?

Here's a pic from another DML'ers web page that shows a picture of it.
http://www.isd.net/jpatrick/delorean/pics/gold15.jpg

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"