Re: 2500 RPM vibration noise (was Manifold heat stove...)

Re: 2500 RPM vibration noise (was Manifold heat stove...)

Adam,

When a metal vibration noise is heard at 2500-2800 rpm, you may want
to check the heatshield on the cross-over pipe. Although this is a
difficult area to inspect if the car is not up on a lift, you can
still get to it by jacking up the back end and using jack stands.

The welds on the cross-over pipe heat shield do deteriorate more
quickly than the actual heat shields or cross-over pipes. As far as
a fix is concerned, to retain originality, this needs to be re-welded
to secure it. However, as a temporary or a semi-permanent fix, to
stop the vibration noise, use a large stainless steel hose clamp
around the heat shield and cross-over pipe, holding the heat shield
against the cross-over pipe, eliminating the vibration noise. One
side usually breaks free first, requiring only one clamp, but this
will vary based on the number of welds that are rusted through or
broken due to vibration, over time. You will need to inspect it.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Rich W.