Re: [DML] Whoopeee, I Sure do Love my LockZilla

Re: [DML] Whoopeee, I Sure do Love my LockZilla

Open letter to Bob Zilla concerning my "Lockzilla" thread.

Bob,

I did not intend to offend you or somehow imply that the LockZilla unit
was anything less than what it is, so I apologize if that's how you see it.
The post was posed as a question, not a fact or even an assertion. I did
not post "LockZilla Sucks - don't buy it!". My question was "Has anyone
else noticed a slight current drain with Lockzilla (with or without Remote),
or could I have a defective unit?"

Based on my tests, my LockZilla unit (and remote) is drawing 30mA from the
battery. When I disconnect it, I get a Zero mA reading. I had no other
devices connected at that time that would draw any current (no radio, no
clock, no lights, etc). I had tested every circuit/fuse to see where
current was being drawn, and only the lockzilla was drawing current from the
battery. I'm certainly not in a position to argue with you over
electronics, but I'm confident in my testing and results. I'm also
confident that if I disconnected the LockZilla, my battery would stay
charged for the one to four weeks or more between start-ups. This is why I
posted as a problem with LZ - as a question. I wanted to know if anyone
else had similar problems or issues with mysterious current drains in the
car.

It's just my opinion, but I don't agree that requiring a battery shut-off
switch as a viable solution to a device that drains the battery. I also
didn't pull LZ out of my car. My solution was to build a battery isolator
to power my radio memory when the main battery shuts down. Now everything
works without any intervention - even with a battery drain. (Thanks, Rick!)

> I'm also surprised ( and I see it often ), how some owners of Zilla
Products
> will post the list to ask questions about their unit rather than email me.

I did email you recently concerning an LZ issue that I spoke to you about in
Memphis and received no reply. I didn't know if or when you would respond,
and I wanted to finish my project so I posted to the DML. I knew that the
DML would provide assistance in an open and helpful fashion. It's just as
likely that someone could have responded "Yes, that current draw is way to
high - you might have a defective unit" or "No, that's entirely normal, so
your problem is somewhere else - keep looking." I was just trying to narrow
down the scope of my search, and many, many people on the DML know so much
more than me, I felt it was a valid question (I also don't see how the
moderators were at fault for allowing it.)

> Would a new owner know that it's been in production for 10 years with a
> perfect operational record ?

No, but I still tell everyone I know to buy LZ and FZ if they haven't
already. One short thread on the DML isn't going to scare away as many
people as you think, and if they read the thread, they will understand the
issue.

> Now, to answer the question that started the twisted thread:

> Personally, I think it sounds like it's time for a new battery.

It's less than a year old.

> How much current does LockZilla draw in standby mode ?
> 13 ma Typical.

My LZ unit with remote pulls 30ma. Is this normal and within specs?

For the record, I am happy with all the Zilla products I own - I was just
trying to solve a problem.

Finally, I'm not here to make any enemies, so I have no issue if you want to
petition the moderators to delete that entire thread if you feel it does
injustice.

-Hank