Re: [DML] Battery load test at home

Group, The easiest way to load test the battery is in the vehicle.By using
the starter in the car as the load. Connect a digital volt meter across the
battery terminals and set the meter on the 20 volt DC scale, disconnect the
coil ignition wire so the car won't start and have someone turn on the
ignition like trying to start the car. The voltage with a good hot battery
should drop to about 10.25 volts. The longer you keep cranking just for 15
seconds or so, you can see the voltage hold or begin to drop. In 70 degree F
weather it shouldn't drop less than 9.6 volts. If it does, then you either
have a bad battery or one going bad or you have a starter dragging and need
to be replaced.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<< the batt I have in mine is a 55Ah. with a drain of 30mA, it will be
completely flat in 76
> days.... - that's more than two months!

Ok folks, I'm only going to repeat this one more time! The problem isn't the
battery DRAINING until it is DEAD - the Sears "Security" Diehard battery has
INTERNAL an auto-shut off that triggers when the voltage drops a couple of
volts - saving enough energy to start the car when I return. Therefore, the
current drain can be enough to trigger the shut off (I think it's 10.5
volts).