Re: Paint for wheels

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Jamie Hamlin <jhamlin@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This weekend I striped the paint off my wheels and was thinking of
> having
> them polished but after stripping them I found allot of
imperfections so
> I'm
> now thinking of just repainting them. Does anyone know the exact
paint
> color and number, I would like to go with something close to
original
> (maybe a little brighter) and base coat clear coat.....
>
> Thanks
> Jamie Hamlin
> Miami Fl.
> Vin# 002606

Hi Jim

Powdercoating is the official finish. You can't go wrong doing
things the official way. I can't vouch for it, since I painted
mine. They came out nice.

I used a polyurethane finish by DuPont called IMRON. I don't have
the stock number here, but the color was selected by bringing the
wheel into the paint shop, comparing with samples, and the color
match was very good. I painted all the wheels to maintain
consistency of color. I would recommend that you do the same, but you
probably need to do all four anyway.

IMRON is very good, as it tends to stay flexible over time, and
sticks to things absurdly well, in my opinion. (Anecdote: I once
mixed a batch in a glass measuring cup. The paint stuck to the glass
so well, that as the leftover stuff in the cup cured, it put enough
tension on the container to make it implode into hundreds of pieces!
I was very impressed that it could stick so well to glass. I use
plastic cups for mixing now.)

IMRON is not for use without good breathing equipment. In addition
to all the usual nerve-liver-and kidney damaging hydrocarbons, in
contains isocyanates, which are extremely toxic in even small
amounts, and capable of causing severe allergic reactions. I only
recommend this paint, or any other polyurethane automotive finish if
you have positive-pressure-ventilation breathing equipment, or want
to take the wheels to a body shop to have them do it, and tell them
what paint to use. If you do use IMRON, clean the surface
thoroughly, and let the wheels cure a week before using them.

Good luck

Rick.

11472