Air Inlet Valve vs. outside airflow restriction

Air Inlet Valve vs. outside airflow restriction

In the ongoing pursuit to get better performance I've been measureing
the air inlet volume vs engine requirements at specified RPMs in an
effort to sqeeze even an infantesimal amount of extra hoursepower out
of my stock engine.

In doing so I'm asking about the Air Inlet Valve and it's air flow
characteristics. It doesn't take a math equation to see that it's
crossectional flow is not equal to the rest of the inlet hose system.
It's a restriction even in a full open state.

Has anyone addressed this part before and is there anything we can do
to increase it's flow outside of replacing it? Is there a larger
replacement somewhere? What do you do with this part on the Stage II
engines?

Part two: How is this thing calibrated? I notice there is a
functioning adjustment lock nut at the base of the sensor.

Chris
(DML lurker since '96)