I would suggest a small sealed lead acid cell from a manufacturer like Yuasa, or alternatively you could go all high-tech and buy a 12v NiMH or NiCad Sub-C pack from www.battlepacks.com

As to the phantom current drain, have you tried unplugging the main harness to the lock module (if you have a stock one) - even if the main red wire is disconnected, the module can still draw current if some of its components are dying.

Martin
#1458 & #4427

Hank Eskin wrote:

I have a Sears "Security" Die-hard battery which shut itself off if its
voltage drops below a certain level (around 10 volts), in order to preserve
enough juice to start the car when I return (in case of the low current
drain many of us experience). It's a great feature - I only drive my car
once a week or so, and the battery is always charged enough to start the car
once I reset it with the key-fob remote.

I also have a new Alpine radio. As you can suspect, each and every time the
batter turns itself off, I lose all the settings and presets, and there are
alot of them on this head unit.