Re: [DML] Older cars as daily transportation

Re: [DML] Older cars as daily transportation

Bill

You are right on the money about using older cars for regular transportation.

I have been doing it all my life. In fact, my newest car is a 81 Delorean.

My family regularly drives cars from the 70s as daily drivers. ( I have even be accused by my neighbors as being fixated on the 70s!)

I install or retrofit all my old cars with all the power accessories of newer cars, including ps,pdb, pw, pwdl, pseats, ac, etc. With all this power, newer cars have offer no improvement in creature comforts.

Another positive point about these cars is that they are easy and cheap to fix. No computer diagnosis. Restoring these cars also means you are recycling and saving the environment.

As for mileage, you can retro fit a 4 speed automatic for under $2000. I did this in one car already.

Each of these cars has been debugged and restored as necessary. I can spend $2000/year on each car and still be ahead. This is far cheaper than buying a new car. You can see these at www.geocities.com/bobandgailscars/

Here is a short list

74 olds 98 455 dual stage air bag equipped
75 olds 88 350 dual stage air bag equipped
76 olds 88 455 dual stage air bag equipped
78 Pacer wagon 5.0 v8
79 pacer wagon 4.0