Clackity clack don't talk back

 My engine has always made a clacking noise. Not a scary "gonna fall apart" clacking... but just an annoying noise that sounds fairly benign. I know other non-exotic cars can suffer from worn or borken valve spring(s) and thus the rockers clack around because they aren't held taught. Or perhald the exhaust is the culpret.. loose manifold or gasket.The thing is the car purrs like a kitty cat when at idle or low RPM and it's only when accelerating it makes the clacking. Performance is not effected... Sounds like it may be originating from the passeger side of the engine compartment..I've listened around but can't pinpoint the noise. anyone else had similiar sounds? any ideas? -James La Londe1981 Delorean DMC-12 vin#001697 LicPlate DMC XII1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 8001992 Ford Probe GT