Electrical Gremlin Stomped!

For a while now, I've had an intermidant problem with low voltage
when the A/C is running. This has been a pain to diagnose, and has
driven me crazy! But now, I have solved this little electrical
gremlin!

The situation is this: Sometimes when running the A/C, the voltage
will drop down to almost the 2nd line on the voltmeter. I can get it
to go a little farther if I turn the headlights on, and the blower
motor up. I've also noticed that as I tax the electrical system
further, the tachometer needle will rise. And as told to me on the
list by others, this is a sign of an electrical problem. All of my
ground connections, and every single electrical connection I've been
able to reach I've cleaned. Another problem is whenever this problem
occurs, accelleration from a stop is sluggish. But the oddest part
has been that this issue only occurs intermidantly. And another item
is that with the A/C off, the idle would be around 11-1200 RPM's.
With it on, the idle would drop to about 900-950, and the voltage
would drop. But when the problem didn't occur, the idle would stick @
950 reguardless, and there wouldn't be as severe a power drop. The
needle would move, but wouldn't drop below 13V on the voltmeter.

But I have finally diagnosed the issue. A sticky throttle cable!

Recently, I've been troubleshooting an unrelated problem with bad gas
milage, and noticed that as the summer has progressivly gotten
hotter, the throttle cable has begun sticking @ 23-2400 RPM's, and
would drop to about 15-1600 with the A/C on. A quick slap of the
throttle pedal, and the idle would drop to 950 RPM's, and the voltage
would stay normal. Previously, I thought I had an electrical problem
with the A/C clutch because it wasn't until the A/C was engaged that
the voltage level dropped when the issue occured. When I next had the
problem with the low voltage, I started playing with the window
switches, and saw that with all accessories on, and both switches
depressed, I could get the tach to jump and read almost 1500. Turning
the A/C off, all became normal, except the idle speed hit 1200. Out
of frustration, I slapped the gas pedal, and the idle returned to
normal speed, and when the A/C turned back on, I had full power to
the system! I've tested this a few more times when the problem has
occured, and I've confirmed it.

The sticking throttle cable was not allowing the throttle spool to
return fully, thus not tripping the idle speed microswitch. When the
A/C was on, the both the idle & voltage dropped because of the extra
load on the engine. Low idle = low voltage because the alternator
wasn't spinning fast enough to put out enough power to sustain the
system. Because of a low voltage situation, the tach wasn't able to
give a correct reading, and was falsely reporting back an incorrect
idle speed that was faster than it really was. A bit of a vicious
cycle, but one that I've finally figured out!

I don't think that this is going to be a common occurance with most
people here. Usually a low power @ idle situation is due to dirty
ground connections. But just in case, I thought I'd share this with
everyone to help them out in the future.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"