Documenting electrical modifications

Bill had a bad day yesterday, can you tell?

David T does bring up a good point. Deviations from stock wiring need
to be accurately documented. This is for your OWN benefit as much as a
future owner (assuming you ever sell the car). Do any of us really
remember what we did yesterday? The only thing worse than staring
clueless at an unintelligible rat's nest of confused wiring is staring
clueless at an unintelligible rat's nest of confused wiring you did
yourself.

My mods are literally appendixes to the factory wiring diagram -- each
circuit is drawn in large scale and inserted behind it in the tech
manual. This is also a case where more -- text descriptions of the
circuit, reference points to locate the circuit within the vehicle,
annotated thought processes, etc. I even mark long cable runs at
either end with flags on the wire that identify where it came from or
where it is going. My overall goal is to save myself time and
aggravation in the future.

FWIW: I find working on my D's electricals rather enjoyable. I never
realized how much easier access to the dash would be with gull wing
doors vs traditional hinges (just watch your head standing up). The
console is also an easy arm's length from either side (I work on my
car from the outside, kneeling in the driveway and reaching in). My
only real complaint is wiggle room in the relay compartment. JZD
must've had
very small hands.

Bill Robertson