Re. Brakes and servicing of callipers.

Hi all,

The brakes on the DeLorean can be very effective but there are many
things you can do to get the best from them.

Firstly change your brake fluid and bleed the system, brake fluid is
hydroscopic and absorbs atmospheric moisture, water squishes more
than brake fluid hence spongy brakes.

Also tyre choice is crucial, what's the point is stopping the wheel
spinning if it is still sliding over the ground. I have been in a
couple of DeLoreans among other cars with Pirelli tyres on and they
seem to stick to the road very well.

Servicing the calliper is not hard either if a bit messy. Remove the
calliper pop out the pistons clean them with very fine wet and dry
change the rubber seals if required (service kits are available which
are quite cheap). Install pistons into the calliper install back on
car and bleed the system. I did this to my front callipers last
weekend as I had a shake under braking and not the car brakes better
than ever.

There are also vented disks and calliper upgrades available from the
same guy who does the Cat by-pass I think he is from Holland (I am
sure someone else on the list knows his details) they looked quite
impressive.

And braided brake lines also take some of the squishiness out of the
braking system as they do not expand under braking as much as the
original lines, or so I am told.

Hope this helps

James RG