Re: Bizarre electrical problem

My guess is "Jack The Ripper" was the last person to work on the
wiring in this Delorean! Once you start looking at the wiring you will
find all kinds of crossfeeds and wiring problems. Start at the source,
the battery, and move to the fuseblock, plugs and wiring harnesses.
Make sure all of the ground connections are intact. When you have
problems like this you have to assume that there are "repairs" all
over so you must inspect everything. Be sure of the correct size fuse
in the right spots and same goes for bulbs. Many of our cars have gone
through several hands and not all knew what they were doing. It is
also possible that there is a problem in a wiring harness, either it
got caught in something and some wires are shorting or maybe even a
section got melted. Nothing can substitute for a THOURGH visual and
physical inspection of all the wiring and hidden areas. This can take
a while but that may be what it takes to find all of the problems. Be
careful with the wiring diagrams, there are some subtle errors on them
and they are mostly for the 81's. This problem is also a drain on the
battery and if it sits too long will kill it. Undocumented
modifacations are the worst, like alarms, hidden switches, auxilliary
functions, radios, etc. Best thing to do is disconnect them and hope
problems go away.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757