RE: [DML] Run Cooling Fans Flat Out ? / Bob Zilla

RE: [DML] Run Cooling Fans Flat Out ? / Bob Zilla

Bob and List,

Note: I'm not trying to sell (or un-sell) anything, and I don't think
that Bob was trying to sell anything either. I'm just trying to clear
up some potential confusion.

IMHO, most of Bob's comments are valid. However, he seems to be
commenting on running the fans continuously while using the stock
circuit design (which could definitely be a bad thing). This should not
be confused with the recent postings about a specific design change (or
set of changes) that eliminates the blue fan-fail relay, splits the fan
current between two relays, upgrades the circuit breaker, makes the fans
run continuously only when an AC mode is selected, etc., etc.. Several
people have been successfully running their cars for years with the
proposed design changes.

As to the difference between "continuous running current" and "duty
cycle current spikes every ten seconds", it would take a lot more than
opinions to determine which is worse. The Fanzilla design reduces the
severity of the spikes. Continuous-run designs reduce the frequency (to
one).

I'm in complete agreement that the basic system should be functioning
properly BEFORE any improvements are even considered.

OBTW, If it was true that "The Lotus Engineers knew EXACTLY what they
were doing" and "If your cooling system is up to snuff it will work just
fine", then there would be no market for Triple-core non-plastic
radiators, Fanzillas, or other related "design improvements". I doubt
that fan-fail failures and circuit breaker triping were part of their
"duty cycle" equations :-)

As is the case with most designs, there are many ways to obtain the
desired results. With constraints on time and budget, the "first
acceptible design" is often implemented - and usually works - at least
for a while. With additional design time, more efficient and effective
designs can be developed. Bob has proven this with his excellent line of
plug-and-play products. Others have also proven this with their
innovative and cost-effective do-it-yourself designs.

Some people continue to drive with the original designs - with varying
degrees of success. Some have more money than time or experience, and
choose plug-and-play options. I used to do electrical/electronic
design, installation, and test, and now I'm a computer-jockey, so I love
to do the electrical work on my car myself - when I have the time :-)

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com