Re: tough transmission again

Willie - In addition to spraying the linkage that is visible through
the shifter boot opening, and from underneath the car at the front of
the transmission, you need to lubricate the large cable that goes from
the shifter to the transmission. This cable does all of the
side-to-side work, while the rod does the front-to-back and rotating
work. It sounds like you have most of the problem in the side-to-side
movement, so the cable is of primary importance to you. I would get a
good grade of liquid lubricant (light oil with teflon, for instance,
or a thin grease), or a special cable lubricant, and inject as much as
you can into both ends of the cable. The forward end is attached to
the shifter bell crank (if memory serves) and the aft end is attached
to a bracket at the front end of the transmission. This should help
you to get lasting relief from the stiff shifter. Always keep an eye
on the little bushings that are part of the attachment of the rod to
the transmission input shaft. These bushings are rubber, and can be
easily damaged. If you lose some of them, the shifter will feel
sloppy, and your shifting will be "less than smooth".

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Willie Mack" <wmack@xxxx> wrote:
>After my last post I took some peoples advice and sprayed wd40 on
the linkage. It solved my problem for about 2 days, but the problem
is back again. It is very difficult to move the shift lever left to
right or right to left. Do i need to put some all purpose grease on
it or what?