Re: radio replacement questions - alpine

Re: radio replacement questions - alpine

Not only does the cone stiffen and rip in age but there are other
factors to contribute to the failing speakers. After a while the oil
used inside the "magnetic core" (where the cone is wrapped with
magnetic wire and is slipped into the base magnet) dries out and
causes friction. The number one casue of "vibration" sounds coming
from the speaker when the volume is increased is that there is a
foam ring that attaches the paper cone to the metal casing of the
speaker that acts as a spring/resonator/etc. The glue that is used
to attach it to the cone/metal dries out and starts to peel up. You
can actually fix that by removing the speaker and finding out where
it is begining to peel and just simply re-glue it...cheap fix. The
ring usually peels off when either A. a new more powerful stereo
system is installed or B. The volume is raised past it's "usual"
setting. I've personally repaired a few speakers and actually have
rewound the base of the cone with new magnetic wire...but it's not
always worth it. If buying a new set of speakers try to stay away
from paper cones since any moisture/water will cause them to warp.

Just a little info.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty@xxxx> wrote:
> Whe considering a radio upgrade you must also consider upgrading
the
> speakers. The origionals are over 20 years old and the cones
stiffen
> with age and since they weren't a very good grade of speaker
anyway at
> this point in time they are garbage. I still use the ASI in my car
but
> the speakers were replaced. It made a huge difference, the old
> speakers were terrible. The ASI isn't the greatest (it only puts
out 8
> watts per channel) and it only gets strong stations but at least
it
> sounds a little better. I recomend Crutchfield, they are very
helpful
> and the prices are good.
> There is another way to go. There are companies that can do a
> "stealth" radio. They take your old radio and gut it and put new
> electronics into it. They can add functions like CD MP3,
remote,etc,
> this way everything looks origional with modern functionality.
> Either way the speakers have to go!
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

[long quote trimmed by moderator]