Delorean rubber

Like many owners one of my first repairs on my Delorean was replacing most of
the fuel system because my car sat....and sat. My question is that it seems
that one of the main explanations for this problem is the fuel sitting and
corroding the rubber in the lower fuel pump boot. I am wondering the
difference between the rubber used in the boot and the rubber used in the
main pick up hose?.....If the rubber used in making the boot was (is) the
problem then why are we using the same boots and what makes the rubber in the
hose not prone to breaking down?....If I am wrong and the problem is any
rubber in the tank than....never mind. :-)

mike c
2109