Michigan Delorean Service? Help!

I wanted to post this message to see if anyone knows of someone who
works on Deloreans in the Michigan/Detroit area.

I've had a service nightmare this year, my first summer of Delorean
ownership - I took my car to a local shop, as it was hunting around
at idle and would stick at 2000rpm when you accellerated. If you
backed off the acceleration it would zoom up as high as you wanted.

It all kicked off when I was doing a tune up (Bosch
rotor/cap/plugs/wires from a Delorean shop), so it seemed like a
simple diagnosis at first - reverse what you did, and it should
work...or find out what you bumped along the way and you should have
figured your problem out, right? Not exactly. Quite a bit of
troubleshooting later, I decided to take it to a local shop that had
worked on Deloreans and tons of
Volvos/Mercedes/Jags/Lotus/Panoz/BMWs... all the headache cars other
shops usually don't touch.

For two and a half months now it's been at a shop - in June they
counted 12 hours of tech time to troubleshoot and repair the
problem, and said there was a problem with the thermal vacuum switch
under the intake. They said it wasn't doing anything -
unfortunately, requiring the removal of the intake to get to the
switch. New O rings and gaskets with that, and the car was idling
nicely...sounded very good - so it cleared up that problem, but it
would not accelerate over 2000rpm. July came around and the tech
has 20 hours into it in July. Warm up regulator or fuel distributor
needs replacing, he said - I had the warm up regulator replaced.
The car runs up to about 4000 rpm. The Fuel distributor was also a
possibility, but the tech was able to swap it out with a different
car that was there and it still had the same symptoms. Also swapped
out a new fuel pump I had in the system, just to see if it would
make any difference, and it did not. All the fuel pressures have
been checked, vacuum levels, etc...specs check out but the car runs
lean during acceleration. The car looked like it was in intensive
care with all these dials and meters hooked up to it at different
phases of the testing.

To make a long story short, I'm sitting with a bill that will be up
to 32hours ($65-$85 an hour, you do the math)... which will be
adjusted I'm sure, as the car is not running properly, but the
tech's end diagnosis is that cam timing is off and they need to pull
the engine apart to get to the timing chains and check that out,
estimated around another $465, plus while they're in there....do a
valve adjustment, estimated around $85.

The problem I have is that I haven't been real impressed with what
my return on investiment this 32 hours of service has got me, and
I'd like to take this to someone who knows what the hell they are
doing as I need the peace of mind that at least I'm not going to be
a part of any more guesswork than necessary. I've already been on
the roller coaster of "Lets try this, this should do it" and finding
out $300 later that it hasn't done anything, and then a few weeks
later the next $300 idea comes up. I used to work for this shop,
and have a good relationship with them, but my patience has just
worn thin - I didn't intend on having my car sit in a shop for the
entire summer collecting thousands of dollars of bills and not have
it running right. Anyone in the Midwest knows, the summer months of
good weather are highly coveted, if you're a car enthusiast!

If anyone has any suggestions on service shops in Detroit, people in
the area that do side work, places I can drive to meet up with
someone that knows about the engine and fuel system, or even anyone
with experience in how to deal with some of these service situations
where shops are spending a ton of hours on something - I don't feel
all that comfortable spending $2500 for a car that isn't working
right, but I don't feel comfortable saying "screw you" to time that
a tech had on a car...and above all, I'm not all the comfortable
saying "sure, let's go ahead with another $500 idea by pulling the
motor apart to check the cam timing". Any thoughts?

Desperate in Detroit
Pete