Re: [DML] driving with doors open?

--- In dmcnews, Martin Gutkowski wrote:
> My real reason for this post is to relate something that
> happenned on the way home from Supercar Sunday this
> last weekend.
[snip]
> Jan van de Wouw drove over from Holland to attend and
> we convoyed up from Kent to Birmingham (about 200 miles).
>
> On the way home on Sunday, with just myself and Jan in
> convoy, we hit traffic on the M25
[snip]
> It was a hot day, and with my AC cycling too quickly, and
> Jan's not working at all, we just popped the doors.
[snip]
> It was a lot of fun, and something entirely practical
> you could only achieve in the DeLorean!

I totally agree with Martin, the experience was great; some
people asked me if I was going back to the future; well in
fact I was; just one hour, but I was :-)

The only downside I found on driving this way is not having
a mirror, so a couple of passing motorbikes startled me
and when all of a sudden we could make speed again
I pulled the dor closed while in motion. BAD IDEA!

Because of inertia and wind this caused my door to partially
jam on the front latch pin. Not too bad fortunately, but just
enough to not be able to open the door as usual.
When standing still I close my door with both hands to guide
it a bit more and close it properly. I obviously couldn't do that
while driving, so I used one hand and couldn't guide anything.

In conclusion|: driving with doors up; fine if not too fast and on
level surface, but close them while standing still of you could
wind up crawling out over the center console...

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000