Open Invitational Door Strut Test

Hello.

I recently had trouble with a mechanically incompatible door strut
that I purchased from a well known, and otherwise respected vendor.
I've since ordered replacement struts from a different vendor, and
will be comparing them in terms of geometry and function.

I'm considering expanding the scope into something more
comprehensive, if enough non-vendor list members are interested. If
you would like such a strut comparison test done, email me directly.
If eight or more people are interested, I'll run the test, and
publish the results. If less than eight people are interested, I
probably won't bother. I don't really have anything to prove.

I'm highly interested in getting hold of an NOS (New Old Stock)
original equipement Stabilus Lift-o-mat strut to measure as a
baseline. Though I question the relevance of data from a twenty year
old part, I'd like to gather the data for reference. I realize a
strut of this vintage has great Concours value, so I assure you that
it will be treated with care, cycled only once, and returned in good
condition. If you are willing to lend me one, please email me
directly. I'm also interested in getting some samples of used struts
of known origin, to compare the new state to the end-of-life state.

It also occured to me that there's no reason that the test couldn't
be expanded to include struts from multiple vendors. I invite any
vendor who wishes to submit a sample strut for comparison. Email me
for shipping info. I will accept, without prejudice, the first eight
vendor entries for testing. The only term is that this is a "No
Whining" event. If you wish to participate, you waive any right to
complain about the results.

Testing will include:
Extended length
Compressed length
Travel distance
Force at extended length
Force at compressed length

Testing might include:
Force at intermediate points between extended and compressed states
Force versus temperature, 20degreesF to 150degreesF (NOS Stabilus
strut, if tested, would not be temperature cycled)

Testing will not include:
Dynamic testing
Damping
(I wish I could, as I think this is important, but a dynamic test
setup will take more time and money than I wish to spend on the test)

I feel a test of this type can benefit the Delorean community.
Either we'll find out that they're all pretty much the same, and we
don't have to worry, or we'll find out that one strut is distinctly
better than the other, which is also a nice thing to know.

Non-vendors, email me if you want me to run this test.
Vendors, step on up to the plate.

Rick Gendreau