RE: [DML] Re: Door Adjustments

If your using a piston from a unknown source, I suggest you make sure the piston does not bottom out when the door is closed.

In Memphis, I had the pleasure of assisting Rob Grady with his free door adjustments and learned quite a bit about the process and common things he looks for when doing this type of thing.

On more than one car, the mount for the bottom pivot ball was bent due to the incorrect strut. The cylinder on the piston was a bit too long so when the door was closed the rod was fully compressed in to the cylinder to the point where it bottomed out. The additional force the close the door beyond the travel of the piston bent the mount. On one car in particular, the mount had been broken off at some point in the past, and was repaired very poorly.

I for one think (and I could be wrong) that these struts are a bit over priced based on the fact that average price of this type of item ranges from $15-$25 at the local NAPA. However, this is a good example on how trying to save a few dollars on a item like this can cost more in the long run.

Buy the pistons from your trusted DMC vendor. Like Dave, I noticed the improved quality of the PJGrady struts. In addition to the dampening effect that Dave talked about, they seem to be a bit stiffer than before. Maybe this is in preparation for use with door launchers??