Re: [DML] finding freon leaks

I've been going through the archives reading everything I can find on a/c
evaporators because I'm getting ready to replace mine. I came across a
thread I started last year about finding freon leaks and now that I
understand the situation better, I'm going to answer my own post with a
warning to not blow yourself up.

Freon leak detectors are sensitive to a variety of hydrocarbon molecules
including gasoline. The situation with the DeLorean is unique (isn't it
always?) in that the condensate drain is right next to the fuel tank where
heavy fuel vapors will linger in the cavities in and around the frame.
Considering that I had a defective TankZilla, there were plenty of fuel
vapors making my leak detector think that the whole front of the car was a
freon leak. And another thing I didn't know at the time is that these
detectors work by monitoring a high voltage discharge in the sensor's tip.
This spark can ignite fuel vapors, so it wasn't such a bright idea for me to
go sticking the thing around the fuel tank.

Walt (taking pride in my humility)

> I am trying to locate a leak in my a/c system and am having some trouble
> doing it. I just bought a leak sniffer from NAPA and put it to work. So
> far I seem to be finding a high concentration of CFCs between the frame
and
> the fuel tank near the point where the flexible fuel lines meet the metal
> fuel lines.
<snip>