Re: tuff transmission

Willie - The first things to look at would be the various pieces of
linkage. There are a number of parts that need lubrication and
periodic adjustment ... bell crank pivot pins, some bushings, the
cable that operates the fore/aft movement of the transmission shifting
forks, and the "U" joint components connected to the shifting rod that
handles rotations. The best way to access the forward end is by
removing the shifter boot. You'll see the bell crank and various
parts of the linkage. Examine everything carefully, and if all seems
well, clean and lubricate with light grease or heavy oil that is
compatible with rubber (I use an oil with Slick 50 as an additive).
There are specific torque values for some of the pivot pins. Check
the shop manual. For the aft end, the only recourse is to get under
the car, and do a similar inspection of the rod and the cable as they
hook up to the transmission. There are some bushings connected to the
rod that can migrate out, making the linkage bind a little, and
can also create some play in the linkage. The cable routing should be
as straight as possible. If all of the linkage is okay, you may be
getting low on oil in the transmission. I recommend (with the usual
disclaimers) Redline MTL for the transmission. This oil tends to make
the transmissions operate very smoothly. (This is all based on having
a nominal level of mechanical ability, tools, and facilities for
getting under the car)

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1