From: Walter Coe [mailto:Whalt@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 8:23 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] a/c leak?

I have read DML postings where people explain that they put leak detector
dye in the a/c system and then find leaks all over the rubber hoses running
along the chassis. I understand that anywhere there is a refrigerant leak,
there will also be an oil residue present.

QUESTION #1:
So if the entire length of the hose becomes porous enough to be a leak,
wouldn't the hose also appear oily looking? I'm getting ready to rebuild my
compressor and replace the dryer & expansion orifice, so I don't want to
waste R-12 in a system that won't keep it.

QUESTION #2
Speaking of dyes to find leaks in the a/c system, can anyone say how long
these work before they break down? I heard a rumor that they have a short
useful life once put in the system.

I am familiar with the variety of dye that needs to be illuminated with an
ultraviolet light to become visible.

QUESTION #3
Is there another variety of dye that is visible without a UV light?

Thanks,
Walt Tampa, FL

moderator@xxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews