Re: built in fire extinguishers

Everybody's got an opinion...

It pleases me to hear about people considering installing fire
extinguishers in their cars, be they halon, CO2, nitrogen, foam,
powder or whatever. I personally think a fixed extinguisher aimed at
the engine is a very good idea, though I've opted for a conventional
manual fire extinguisher mounted in the passenger compartment. I
agree with the people who advise that installing an extinguisher of
the inert gas type (halon, nitrogen, carbon dioxide)in the passenger
compartment is very dangerous because of the near-certainty of
asphyxiation during discharge.

I've installed a fire-extinguisher in my car. It is one of the foam
types, which are extremely messy, but very effective. Use of it
would be messy, but I can live with that.

I'm sure that any sensibly installed fire extinguisher can help
mitigate some risk. If we're lucky, we'll never collect enough data
to assess which method is better.

Rick Gendreau 11472