remembering Memphis

For those who didn't attend but read the DML flames & gossip, you will enjoy
this story:

At the awards ceremony, James Espey gave his expected speech that he gives
at all such shows. This time he related a story about two young boys who
wanted to ride in a DeLorean. He told the story with such love & enthusiasm
that he almost started tearing up over about how sweet it was to grant the
kid's request. Then just has he was ready to change the subject, Daniel
Deutsch (of www.tireflys.com fame) anonymously shouts out, "How much did you
charge them?" That was the best laugh of the entire event. Even James had
to laugh at himself over that one. Daniel has this amazing gift for
extemporaneous comedy when you least expect it.

It was so much fun finally being able to match names with faces. One guy
said, "I read your column." Okay, so I have a reputation for Walt-length
posts! :-) I must apologize for getting so confused trying to remember who
is who. A typical conversation went, "Remember me? You help me with
such-n-such on my car." I have answered so many posts that most of them
kind of blur together into distant memories. No one looked like how my
mind's eye pictured them, and the same went for what people thought about
me.

Luckily I had no breakdowns on the trip other than my FanZilla spazzing out,
a broken upper speedometer cable, a slipping a/c belt due to my compressor
bearing going bad & oiling the belt. Also had another intermittantly
sticking thermostat that caused the engine to typically run at 220F. And I
previously replaced that not long ago!

I took plenty of photos which are still being developed. I'll get the
negatives scanned soon and posted to the web.

Walt Tampa, FL