Remanufacturing Torsion Bars.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Stian, I put out on the DML list about the torsion bar for the
drivers side which as I understand is out of stock.. Not knowing
how much exactly it would cost, I figured around $500.00. I got
about 5 reply's that would take one. Going to the manufacturing
company was a little bit of a challenge. All had retired and one
man remembered all the people making them. Once this man is
gone, it may be lost forever from the original source.
> John Hervey
> www.specialTauto.com

Does it need to be a solid bar that replaces the existing torsion
unit? Yes, the solid bar looks nice and all, but what about this:

Install a solid bar in the current place of the existing torsion bar.
Except, where it connects to the door, install a swivel hinge (think
lazy suzan) so the bar does NOT twist as the door opens and
closes. Now, connect a tightly wound spring between the front
door hinge, and the rear piece that connects to the body. The
stationary bar will keep the spring in place, and the spring itself
can keep the same levels of torsion as the cryso-twist bar. Viola!
Instant torsion spring for you doors! No modification to your car
required, and only utilizes a couple of additional parts. I have the
exact same set up on my panel garage door.

See, problem solved! :)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"