New DeLorean Parts and vendors

Lately, there has been a very active discussion on the DML regarding replacement parts and the DMC vendors.
First let me say that I'm a firm believer in supporting the DMC vendors. We all know in our hearts were we would be had it not been for them. We need the DMC vendors so that we can continue to drive our fine automobiles.

So why do people look for a non-original "wear" part? In the long run, you won't make money on it, because you will have to replace it sooner or later with a genuine DMC part. Often you will find yourself wasting time at the local auto parts store. The DMC vendors know what you need. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, I won't go into detail, just let me say that I have received parts with no instructions. That is confusing and irritating, so the vendors should try to improve in that area.

I'm trying to get all my parts from the USA, I often combine it with other things I need. Why buy a Bosch Fuel Pump here in Norway, when I can get it in the same package with other parts I need? I feel good supporting the DMC vendors.

On the other hand, sometimes it is easier to order parts over here, for instance a new clutch.
Shipping would be very expensive for a part like this, so sometimes, when I'm sure I will get the correct part over here in Europe, I will buy it locally.

The DeLorean specific parts are what we, the drivers, always have to order from the DMC vendors.
But how do you make people buy other parts from the DeLorean vendors, parts that you can get at a local auto shop?

The answer is that you have to make something better than original. And this is what I have been wondering about lately.

Why on Earth don't the DMC vendors offer parts like these:

* complete silicone hose set for the whole cooling system (only one vendor sell a few silicone hoses related to the waterpump). It would sell very well. Finally, no-one had to worry about those hoses anymore.

* stainless braided brake lines like Marty Maier made possible

*Toby-tabs. Very much needed. Why didn't one or two of the vendors come up and say, Hey we're interested in your project. Maybe they did, but the DML hasn't heard of it.

* stainless steel frames made by Brian Pearce (why do they only offer the front tube extension? And why not make that part in stainless steel instead of powdercoated steel)

* stainless braided fuel lines (we have all heard about sudden fuel-related DeLorean fires)

Again, I would like to ask - Do the vendors co-operate when deciding to make new parts?
I don't think so, just think of the earlier shockabsorber debate...DMC Houston made custom-made shocks while PJ Grady uses off the shelf shocks.

DMC Joe's excellent Battery Saver. Why don't all vendors offer this? It is the final solution to all the doorlight-draining battery problem.

My point here is that all vendors should be co-operating more closely. This is a little community, and I'm sure that development funds could be better used if each vendor specialized in certain things.

PJ Grady for instance, has the TankZilla. DMC Houston is reported to come up with a new fuel device. Is it really necessary?

When will someone start to remanufacture the LH side Torsion Bar?

When will someone offer a brand new Volvo style AC Panel, where there is not any decal, but quality plastic engraved decal which won't crack up like the old one does.

Why don't the vendors ask us, the owners what part we may be interested in/committed to buy.
If we committed to buy, Im sure the manufacturing process and time would be very quickly. The DML is a nice forum to find out what people want, right here, right now.

Also, I feel it a bit strange that the vendors themselves dont participate more often on the DML. I think they should be more active, in order to "get to know" the needs and wants of the DML members. After all, this is THE ONE list above all.

Another thing - more and more DeLorean are coming into Europe. Why isn't Wingray Autos in Liverpool, England more marketed by DMC Houston. I don't think all European DeLorean Owners know of this excellent DMC Houston affiliate. Parts warehouse in the US yes, but how about a little warehouse in England, in order to get the parts quicker.

Ok, thats all for now. I probably asked more questions than I could answer myself, but Im just trying to get the discussion on to a different level.

My point is - when an individual comes up with a great idea (some mentioned above) for DeLorean parts...why dont the vendors react in a timely fashion so that they can get the market so to speak there and then. Then you wouldnt have any private persons who sold "competition product"

I understand that if a vendor has two piles of cooling hoses, that he dont want to invest in silicone hose before the other stock is depleted. On the other hand, there are enough Concours people out there who would still buy original hoses. So really, you would sell two types of hoses to two kinds of owners.

Again, if enough cash is generated on certain popular parts, then new parts could be manufactured even faster.
Ok, enough of my boring thoughts...just my 2cents worth...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759