Re: [DML] Swapping engines

Hey Bill,
Have you driven a DeLorean yet? They really are quite peppy cars. I grin from ear to ear every time I take mine out for a spin. Yes, it won't blow away my Dads Boss 302 Mustang, but even my dad, the hardened muscle car fan, gets more enjoyment out of driving my D than his Mustang. Once I get my D completely upgraded, I'm sure I'll start working on the performance aspect. But until then, it's more than enough fun to drive. :-)

What I suggest is you start going to some meets, and getting to know some local owners. There are some really great guys in NC. My car is in Sanford, NC... out in the middle of nowhere too. But thanks to this list, and several helpful owners, I have no worries about keeping my car on the road.

The PRV engine is actually the most reliable part of the car. If it isn't ignored, you'll never have any problems from it. The DeLoreans reliability problems come from the actual DeLorean-specific parts... such as the electrical, cooling, and (hydraulic) clutch systems. There really is no benefit of replacing the engine in the D. It's the best part of the car! And if you want more power, there are plenty of ways to do that. Be it from DMC-Houstons engine upgrades, to free-flow exhaust sytems, performance airboxes, and twin turbos. Those would probably actually be cheaper (and easier!) to do to the car than an engine swap.

And don't worry about finding someone to work on your car. I've taken mine to a regular garage in my town, and they had no problems with it. If you have all of the workshop manuals, anyone can work on your car. Good luck on your path to ownership! Let me know if I can be of any help.

-Louie Golden
#10115 Sanford, NC

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email@xxxx by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag