paying less for quality stuff

First off, let me say that I'm all for supporting the parts vendors
for parts truly specific to the car. However, I'm stunned at the
prices being charged for commonly availible items.

An example is $30 for 6 inches of silicone hose and 4 clamps.
While the quality is very good (top notch in fact), as a frequent
buyer of aviation stuff I'm appalled at the markup. Understand that
airplane parts are not cheap, so it has to be pretty bad to surprise
me when I see generic car parts this high. I hate to step on anyone's
toes about this but when one owns aircraft one gets a little
sensitive about "paying" too much for common stuff. (I won't say
being ripped off, but thats what often happens.)

While I support the vendors for specific parts (and will continue to
do so), I think its important to realize the same quality can be had
elsewhere for much less when dealing with generic parts. An example
is McMaster Carr (www.macmaster.com). You can't get a catalog unless
you have a business, but they sell retail on the Internet. McMaster
can be a gold mine of quality stuff if you must know what to look for.

An example: Search on "silicone hose" and look at silicone heater and
coolant hose. This is very high quality hose (and not cheap) but
identical to what others are selling for much more. Same with hose
clamps. The SS smooth bore, rolled edged, or constant torque clamps
are high quality and, other than true aviation clamps, are nearly the
best you can buy. If you were rehosing your cooling system this would
be the stuff to get. Sold in packs of 10 for the price some are
selling two for, I must be in the wrong business. I don't begrudge
anyone making a profit, but geez.

On another note, has anyone tried this outfit's window regulators?
www.a1electric.com

Before you jump on the quality issue (I don't know about it, thats
why I'm asking), they are sold in twos for less than the price some
D parts vendors get for one.