From: "Don Golden" <Don.Golden@xxxx>
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 12:06 PM
Subject: [DML] Front End Drop

> Hi All
>
> Something new came up which is baffling. When shifting out of 1st gear the
right front of the car seems to drop and I feel a slight tendency to swerve
to the left. This seems to be more pronounced the higher the revs are when I
shift out of 1st. I hear no clunks or other sounds.

> Other than this the car seems to drive fine. I don't notice this in any
other gear. It's almost as if this is caused by either 1) the front weight
shift as the car decelerates, or 2) the engine torque as it decreases revs,
or a combination of both. This isn't noticeable during braking, only during
accelerating out of 1st gear.

> A visual check suggests that the engine mounts are OK. I tried another
test: with the parking brake on and the the car in 1st gear I let the
clutch out slowly. The engine doesn't twist (there is a slight downward
movement). The same thing happens in with the tranny in reverse (except the
engine moves upward slightly).

> I can't see any visual problems with the shocks/springs, ball joints, tie
rod ends. I'm at a loss of where to go next. Could the trailing arm bolts or
transmission mounts have a similar effect?