Group, This is what I do.
Most of the time what I see is wrong with fast Idle is the adjustments. You
must make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.
#1. As David mentioned earlier, the air horn gaskets. Very often these are
not replaced.
#2. The idle speed motor tube into the lower parts of the air flow meter
isn't sealed properly.
Once the vacuum leaks are stabilized, the adjustment arm under the cable
spindle must be properly adjusted as to allow the throttle plate lever to go
all the way down. You may have to remove the Air horn to verify this or just
unhook the arm and see where the lever rest at. Make sure the lower
adjustment screw isn't keeping the lever from going all the way down. One you
have determined the throttle body lever is all the way down and the arm is
off, then turn the lower adjustment screw about 1/4 turn clock to get it
right off the bottom. (Rest Screw). Now adjust the upper screw in or turn
clock to trip the micro switch about 30 thousands. This can be the starting
point. Reattach the lower arm and make sure you adjust it as to allow the
lever to stay in the rest position. You may also have to adjust out any slack
to looseness on the ball connection on the lever. I took mine off and
soldered the ball joint because it had become so loose I couldn't get my idle
to stabilize. Also refer to D:05:02 in the work shop manual for the
thermistor and ECU info.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com