For Walt

>>> don't see much of a point in a custom baffle since the OEM isn't
too bad in my opinion (unless you don't like the thought of paying
$92 for a rubber hose that may need to be replaced in another 20
years).<<<

I try to avoid elastomers submerged in fuel unless needed for sealing
or gasketing purposes. Stainless will last 100 years as its not
effected by heat or storage and will not collapse. One less thing to
worry about.

>>>Eliminating the long flexible suction hose means proper height of
the fuel suction screen is going to be touchy -- too low and it will
conduct vibration; too high and it will suck air when the tank is
low. I would try to design it so that the baffle fills faster than
it empties, but still have the suction low enough so that it won't
suck air when you first start the car from an almost empty tank,
i.e., the level in the baffle will be as low as the rest of the
tank.<<

I don't feel vibration is a problem but if it is, there are several
solutions. Of course the baffle must fill faster than it drains,
otherwise the design would be useless. With proper design, the level
in the baffle will always be the same as the tank, no way around
this. I must finalize the design and test it under real world
conditions before I can offer more info.

Btw, I'm beginning to think "hot fuel" is not the root cause of these
problems. Until I can see a mechanisim that scientificaly corealates
to that, I'm not sure I buy into it. Your comments about vaporization
in the pump are interesting but need further research to explain some
issues a petro-engineer friend of mine says make it unlikely. Have
you measured the temp of the fuel at any point?

>>>Excuse my stupidy, but what does MTBF mean?<<<

Sorry, the engineer in me tends to creep out at times. MTBF is Mean
Time Between Failure.

>>>I think that the kind of hose you are talking about is the same or
similar kind of material as the SS braided clutch line upgrade &
Marty's brake lines. I doubt that you will be able to fit/stretch
these the same way as regular coolant hoses. It seems to me that you
would need to attach special fittings.<<<

Yes, compression fittings with ferrules, then maybe AN fittings. No
hose clamps allowed. The coolant pipes may have to be cut back a
little to accept the minimum length that can be made up. Overkill, I
know, but these will never leak or deteriorate. I will modify the car
in any way to improve my confidence in it, while reducing the
maintenance issues.

>>>Someday I want to replace my refrigerant lines and am thinking
that I want to use PTFE? under stainless flex. If this is what I
think it is, it is commonly used in commercial refrigeration
systems.<<<

The D uses old "non barrier" type hoses in the suction and discharge
lines of the R12 system and Dichlorodifluoromethane slowly permeates
through these. This is why all older cars lose charge over time, even
if all the other components are leak free. Unfortunately, flexible
hoses are a must in vehicles, unlike stationary reefer systems. They
needed be SS but if you ever change your A/C hoses, I would
definately replace them with the new barrier type. This will leave
the compressor shaft seal as the only weak spot, a problem shared by
all vehicles.

>>>I think your opinion is too kind. :-) I'm happy doing the
basic "vendor approved" modifications; although, I would be happier
with an entirely new wiring system.<<<

Lol, your talking to a guy who was going to add a complete Halon
Fire Supression System to the car. Central bottle with piping and
nozzles to engine, electrical and luggage compartments. Discharging
would cut main power also. But, I decided its better to treat the
disease than the symptoms. (I'll still carry an extinguisher
though :-)

The vendor stuff adresses only some issues. The lack of overcurrent
protection at sources, insufficent current carrying capacity of the
conductors used, and poor termination practices all need to be looked
at. In addition, such design pratices as powering so many things on
the accessory relay (auto trans computer, A/C system, etc) as well as
installing CBs downstream of control relays (as in the fan circuit,
whats up with that?) are an abomination to good electrical design and
can be easily corrected. (I could go on and on, is that unkind
enough? :-)

>>> I don't want the next owner to have a hard time figuring out what
I did differently.<<<

The key is proper documentaion of the changes. As a former machine
design engineer, I could do better prints than the factory did with
my eyes closed. Future owners of my car will have no problems
diagnosing electrical faults, assuming there will ever be many.
(Problems, not owners :-) Applying aircraft materials, design, and
testing techniques has always served me well, I trust my life to them
at my job. This is why the racing folks also use them. Besides, I
personally feel the car's status is further enhanced by the use of
such practices and materials.

On another note, my passenger window quit working. After checking the
switch and power, I had to open the door up to replace the connector
that had simply fallen off the window motor. Lots of work, just to
find a bad connector. I suggest strain relieving all that stuff when
in there or replacing with locking aerospace types. This is the kind
of thing I'm talking about, designing for reliability involves minor
details that are often overlooked. Its work, and not cheap, but it
beats the hassle of standing by a dead car on the side of the road.

Also adding a remote door opening system, this can be done very
cheaply by modifying a keyless entry/alarm system or shaved door
handle kit from Autoloc or one of the others on the market. Use it to
sequence the door locks, which then communicate with the latch
actuators. This way the doors won't be unlatched unless the locks are
moved first. I also added a spring loaded popper as its nice to have
the hood come up on release.

Btw, the entire door locking issue can be resolved simply by using a
SPDT electrical switch (like a power window switch), removing the
lock controller and making some minor wiring changes, instead of
using the manual linkage. The downside in that there is no longer a
mechanical way to unlock the doors from inside the car (outside key
still functions) and that would have to be addressed. This is a
safety issue so I would not recommend it, as every OEM system with
power locks has some form of manual unlocking. An emergency pull
cable to the lock linkage would solve this, used only in an
emergency.

>>Gary, welcome to the DML. It's a pleasure exchanging ideas with
technically minded people like you.<<

Thanks (I think :-) My experience is that very technically minded
people are not always well received, so we'll see what develops.
While my experience with the car is limited at this point, it isn't
rocket science. Systems are systems, whether in a vehicle or taco
making machine. I do value others here for their experiences and the
failure history they can provide, along with the exchange of ideas
that comes with open disscusion. Purusing of the archives has
revealed some very good talent herebouts. (Mark Hershey, Darryl, and
Martin in the UK come to mind, among others.) Unfortunately, my work
schedule will not permit me to participate very often.

My apologies for the length.

Gary