Re: [DML] Re: Clunk (not TAB or axles)

I, too, have been plagued with rear-end clunks since the day I test-drove #6703. It is by far the most annoying problem on my vehicle--it really detracts from an otherwise amazingly pleasant driving experience. I have read every word ever posted on this topic and spoken to many people and followed all the standard advice without success. I do not believe that *anybody* really understands what is going on. Rob Grady told me that he once solved a clunking rear-end by replacing the rear bearings, but that the problem came back in a year.

Part of the problem no doubt stems from the fact that there are multiple causes, so everybody's advice has a kernel of truth. For the record, here is an annotated list of all the theories that I am aware of:

1) Objects sliding around in trunk (or the jack storage space in front of the trunk).
Comment: This is real. Don't underestimate it. It is often surprisingly difficult to localize sounds in a car--even front/rear can be confusing. Hint: Stick some industrial-sized velcro on the bottom of your tool box and it will grip the carpet of the trunk and stop sliding around.

2) Battery not secure.
Comment: Maybe, but I'm not convinced that it is all that easy to tip or slide the heavy battery around. Can anybody report first-hand that this was the source of their clunk? In any event, tying down your battery is good hygiene, so why risk it?

3) TAB problems.
Comment: Almost certainly a real cause of rear-end noise. There have been first-hand reports to that effect. Not clear to me that it could easily account for the characteristic "left turn/right turn" alternation that many of us experience. I am about to install Toby Tabs, so we'll see...

4) Loose body bolts.
Comment: There are also first-hand reports of tightening body bolts curing clunks. Didn't help in my case, although I have not done the hard-to-get-at right-rear bolt. If all else fails, I will try that, but I am pretty sure I hear clunks on both sides and the everything on the left is definitely tight.

5) C/V Joint problems.
Comment: It is often suggested that bad or poorly lubricated C/V joints cause the drive shafts to hang up on turns. It is true that if you slide the shafts back and forth by hand you can make a sound that kind of resembles the accursed clunk, but I am skeptical. I have not seen first-hand reports that C/V work has actually cured the problem (I filter out "well, seemed to help some" comments as wishful thinking). In any event, inspecting and repacking the C/V joints didn't help in my case.

6) Bad rear bearings or rear hub problems.
Comment: I have encountered few hard facts on this alternative, beyond the aforementioned discussion with Rob. I consider this a likely cause, just because I can't think of anything else. There was a vague article circulating a few years ago involving spraying WD40 into this area, but I could never make it work. Can anyone elaborate on this theory? If my new TABs don't help (and I don't think they will), new bearings will be my last resort.

Anybody who has anything to add to this list, please do so. This is clearly a widespread problem, and annoying as hell. It would be great to finally nail it.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703