"Engine Number" location

Can't seem to find it.

I've looked with flashlite & mirror at the area around the catalytic
converter. There is a rusty plate on the CAT but that would not be the
engine number. I see a number on the exhaust manifold and a number moulded
into the head. The two replies I received on the question before were
inconsistent. One said an aluminum plate rivited to the mounting cradle;
the other said a rusty plate near the CAT.

I wanted the engine number to use in filling out a replica window sticker.

Thanks, Jerry.