A/C conversion

Hello All,

here are the results (so far) of my A/C conversion to 134a. yesterday i
brought my car in to the shop who was to do my work. we put it on a lift and
checked for neon dye on my A/C system. we found a couple of tiny spots but
nothing very troubling. most of it was pretty sketchy and the tech i was
working with said he didn't think it would be a problem. we then brought the
car down and temporarily filled the system with one pound of R-134a with dye
for testing purposes. we let the car sit for a little while then came back
to it and got it up on the lift again. we then checked for leaks again and
we couldn't find anything new. it was getting late so we called it a day.
now this afternoon we were at it again and decided to try to evacuate the
system out and vacuum it and try to fill it with 134a. we hooked the machine
up and let it vacuum for about 105 minutes. the tech (who has done many
conversions) said the trick to doing an older car is to vacuum it for a long
time to make sure you get EVERYTHING out of the system. as we were finishing
vacuuming, the tech said that the car was holding vacuum extremely well, he
said it was on the lines of an almost perfect system. after that we filled
the system up with R-134a and more dye to the full 2.5lb capacity. we let
the car idle with the A/C on for about half an hour. we came back to the car
and put a thermometer in the vent - we were running at about 37.4 degrees F!!
we finished topping it up with the engine running to help pull freon into
the system.

so far so good - the system seems to be working fine and my compressor is
cyling about every 20 seconds. in a couple of weeks i'm going to bring my
car back for a leak test and see if anything is leaking. and if not.... well
i'll just keep my fingers crossed! i will post another update in a couple
weeks.

Later,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx