Re: [DML] seat backs

In a message dated 4/15/02 10:07:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
dmc4687@xxxx writes:

> Does anyone else have a problem with the back piece of the seat-backs?
> The fiber board on mine was breaking when I bought it. I strengthened it
> with some more 1/4" fiberboard and finally wrestled it into place...but
> when
> ever I flex back hard (like I'm digging my wallet out) it comes loose
> again!
> What to do? Rivet it in?
> -Kevin

Kevin,

here's what to do. go to home depot and buy a product called 'hardboard'.
it comes in big sheets, it will be enough to make 2 seatbacks if you want.
Then take your chair out and bring it to an upholstry/interior shop and tell
them you want them to rebuild your seatback with the new hardboard and have
them secure the seat back in so it doesn't pop out. the problem is the
rivets get loose and they don't adequately secure the board in over time.
anyway, when i got the seat back, they did an awesome job and i can feel that
they screwed it in all around it but you can't see the screws because somehow
they did it w/o it being seeable. cost me about $40 total i think. i tried
to rebuild the seat myself first but the rivets kept busting through the
board and making the brackets loose.

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596