[DML] Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding

[DML] Re: Pressure (was Vacuum) brake bleeding

I know this will probably start another Brake Fluid Holy War, but
here goes.

You probably ought to keep looking for the Castrol. Any quality DOT-4
is *probably* OK, but I've heard that the Castrol for some reason is
the most compatible with the natural (as opposed to synthetic) rubber
used in the DMC braking system.

DOT 5 is a whole 'nother animal. That is Silicone fluid. Not a good
idea to mix with DOT 3/4. (It won't mix, you'll get a barrier region
between the two.) BTW - the DOT5 containers often say NOT to use it
at all in ABS (not an issue)systems OR in clutch hydraulics. It is
slighly more compressible than DOT 3/4, so you could see some clutch
issues.

DOT 5 is popular with the collector-car crowd because it does not
attack the paint when it does leak. That's really the only advantage.
It also does not absorb water, but IMHO that just means that you'll
end up with water bubbles in the fluid instead of absorbed into the
fluid. Better to stick with the real stuff and change it every year
or two.

Dave Swingle