Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...

Does a tune-up ever go right? Not when I do it...

Alright. I did the tune up. New plugs, new rotor, new cap, new
wires... the whole shebang. Timing is good and my cold cranking is
excellent. Sitting in park, the engine purrs like a kitten.

(Now the dreaded) However, performance became sluggish under load. On
the road, there's poor acceleration in all gears. The only thing I
can see that went awry during the whole process was a broken
electrical connection in the vacuum solenoid. I can't find any
information on this connection so I have no idea what it does or how
it affect vacuum advance.

Question is, could this cause the sluggish acceleration?

If not, can anyone offer up some suggestions?

Travis